The news broke that Jon Jones failed a drug test administered by the United States Anti Doping Agency (USADA) on July 28, one day before his main event fight against Daniel Cormier at UFC 214 in Anaheim, California.
Jones tested positive for a banned substance in an in-competition USADA test and he’s been provisionally suspended. Jones had beaten Cormier by third round technical knockout to regain the UFC light heavyweight belt.
The UFC confirmed that Jones tested positive in a statement posted on their website. According to USADA, the drug test sample was collected after the July 28 weigh-ins.
TMZ was the first to report that Jones tested positive for the steroid turinabol. USADA suspends first-time turinabol offenders for two years and multiple-time offenders are suspended even longer. USADA will not confirm the substance and they said that Jones has to divulge it himself.
The 30-year-old Jones also tested positive before a potential UFC 200 fight with Cormier in 2016 but he was pulled from it and provisionally suspended three days prior. Jones would then get a one-year ban by USADA for testing positive for clomiphene and letrozol.
Last night’s revelation is the latest in a series of issues that Jones has had in his career, including a felony hit-and-run arrest and DUI.
His comeback victory over Cormier at UFC 214 last month was supposed to be the start of his redemption story but the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) also confirmed his positive test. “The California State Athletic Commission has been made aware of Jon Jones’ test results and is looking into the matter,” California State Athletic Commission executive officer Andy Foster said.
UFC President Dana White to answer questions about the latest controversy with Jones and when asked about a potential rematch with Alexander Gustafsson, White explained that before last night’s revelation the UFC was planning on having Jones challenge Stipe Miocic for the heavyweight title at UFC 218 in Detroit.
“Obviously, it’s brutal. It’s unbelievable. Unbelievable. I’m sure I feel the same way every one of you felt when you heard. We were talking about Jones fighting at heavyweight. Probably (against Stipe in Detroit),” White said.
It was also rumored that UFC was trying to coax Brock Lesnar out of retirement for a big money fight with Jones but those plans will also be cancelled.
UFC fans have been wanting to see Jon Jones move up to heavyweight for a long time. Jones is widely considered the greatest light heavyweight of all-time and one of the greatest fighters ever, but his constant legal troubles and last year’s failed drug test prevented him from doing so. His current situation is very serious, as he could be facing a four-year ban from the sport.
Dana White said that this could be the end of Jones’ career: “If this ends up and he ends up getting two- or three-(year suspension) – that might be the end of his career. Talk about his legacy, that’s probably the end of his career. He might (come back) but it’s tough. How old is Jon now, 30? 33-34, trying to make a comeback again, and you look at what could have been, what he could have done, it’s sad.”
White also said he expects Daniel Cormier to be handed the light heavyweight title back if Jones faces another ban, ruling the UFC 214 main event as a ‘no contest.’
Cormier recently named Jimi Manuwa and Volkan Oezdemir as potential opponents in the light heavyweight division. The top betting sites will offer competitive odds for this, review them before placing some action.
Jones is the only fighter that has beaten Cormier, first at UFC 182 in January 2015 and then last month at UFC 214 in Anaheim, California. When asked about the news of Jones’ potential suspension, Cormier said: “It’s hard to find words to describe how I’m feeling right now.”